Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Shopsmith Got Sick

Well, the Shopsmith didn't really get sick, but a circlip came loose and jammed the speed control gears, effectively making the system unusable. The SS wasn't dead either. I got out the book and started going through the trouble shooting section. Of course this problem wasn't listed. I then started taking the speed control unit apart until I found where the failure was. A circlip managed to get bent and one ear got caught in the gears. I checked on the SS website, and the part was only 80 cents, plus $6.99 for shipping and handling. I went to Ace Hardware and bought the part for 29 cents. I cleaned out the interior of the SS while I had it apart and readjusted the speed controls. Everything is better now and I can get back to work.

I made a sterling Silver ring with a stone mounted on top for Barb. I'll try and post of picture. This was part of my Jewelry/Metal Smith class. Still having fun. I've been carving wax rings this week to get ready and cast in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: