Thursday, July 1, 2010

Current Projects

Ice Cream Scoop


I haven't been entirely away from wood working lately and here is an Ice Cream scoop that I turned from a piece of Myrtle wood and a kit that had the two brass parts. The scoop part that inserts into the Myrtle wood handle was not round, close maybe, so I made a little extra epoxy to make sure that I had enough to fill the hole I drilled. Also, there was a knot at the back end of the handle that I turned away, at least I thought I did until I parted the handle of the lathe. The end had a crack in it, so I sanded the end by hand, filling the crack with sawdust. Then I added some this super-glue, let it dry, then repeat until the crack was filled.



Sugar Scoop


This unfinished piece was from a branch of an ornamental fruit tree I cut down to build the shop. As I was turning I thought the color was great, but as I got to the center of the wood, I found that the core was almost rotten: very brittle, soft, and easily damaged. I turned the scoop center and did have a knot bust out, taking the whole side with it. I used the opening to an advantage so I could see how this the bowl part was. But when I got to the handle, the core either ripped out or was already gone, so the second picture shows why I didn't finish the scoop. I figured no handle, no scoop.

Spoon


I took another branch of the ornamental tree and split it down the center so I wouldn't have to worry about the rotten core. Here you see the first half of the branch that I turned to get ready to make a spoon. At this point the wood looks pretty good, so I'm hopping I can finish this project.

No comments: