Sunday, March 27, 2011

Panels and Lathe jigs

I have two projects that I worked on the weekend. The first was the end panels for my drawers that I am making for the shop. The pieces are juniper, I think. They look great and after a lot of patience went together as shown in the picture. I still need to make the boards to join these together. I'll cut a dado near the bottom of the panels and use poplar, and I will use a dovetailed joiner near the top that is juniper, as that may be seen. At this time I'll add a rabbit along the back edge for a plywood panel there. This is for the shop after all.



Project two is a pair of axillary jaws that will hold small square pieces on the lathe for drilling out. If grabs only the opposite corners and the max size of what it will hold is only ½" on my jaws. Instructions for making and using the Axillary Pen Blank Jaws are found at David Reed's site. The first picture shows the jaws after I epoxied one side of the jaws together, the second on the final step. I may need to look for another jaw set to mount these in order to get the .75" spread I wanted. If I can't get more spread, I'll make another jig for my pens on the drill press. I want to drill out some blanks for my pens accurately , but I can't find my old jig. I guess I will make another one, and maybe I won't lose it.


Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: