Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Birdhouse ornaments

I made a couple of birdhouse ornaments this last week, using a spalted wood from my wood pile.  The spalted wood is not real hard anymore buts it still turns nice and has such an interesting grain pattern to it. The tops were made of myrtle wood on one, and wysteria root for the other. The posts that the bird would stand on is not directly under the entrance. I followed a design by Dale Nish and thought it was an interesting departure from what I would have normally done. Both the posts and the finial are made from black walnut. I hope you enjoy them.

While I was at the lathe, I stuck a dowel into a third piece of spalted wood and turned a bottle stopper. I did not hollow it out more than 3/4" into the center, again to make sure that this is not too fragile.

Enjoy and be careful of the splinters.




No comments: