Sunday, April 7, 2013

Goofing around

I had a small piece of myrtle wood in a chuck so I turned a small bell shape, which I turned into a small 'critter'. This was all done in fun for me. But Myrtle wood is hard to carve, so I used a rotary tool to get the shapes I wanted. I also tried wood burning on it, which actually worked quite well. A touch of paint, even some extra paint that I didn't see until I blew up the photographs. You can see from the carved area around the legs that the shape was a tad thin. The shaped area is the result of cracking when I tried to reverse mount the shape on the lathe so I could turn the top. All of the carving and wood burning was done at my bench, most of the time with a magnifying viewer. The legs are from bass wood scraps. Other than the paint around the eyes and feet, there is no finish on this piece, yet.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: