Sunday, February 3, 2008

Todays Pen

I'm working on a new pen, made up of walnut and spalted something. I have 2 pieces of each wood glued so the corners meet, to make up a square (almost) stick. I then cut slices off of the glued stick and put it back together while rotating each piece. Kind of like a stair stepping checkerboard. It's all glued together, but I'm letting the epoxy setup some more before I do the final turning. At this point it looks pretty cool, but I only turned it enough to round it out, but not too close to the barrel.

I can see where a more precise method of sizing the strips would help, like a thickness sander. I may have to try and make one, using the shopsmith as the drive for a sanding drum. I've seen designs for a similar project, but I don't really have a place for it yet.

Enjoy, and watch for the slivers.

No comments: