Friday, October 24, 2008

Jewelry


HI y'all. I've been semi-busy, or shall I say to lazy to post. I've just taken some pictures of my latest projects, a broach, a box, a Halloween decoration and a Santa.

Lets start with the broach. I'm taking a jewelry making class at Clackamas CC and this is the first project. We take our design and cut out the 'see-through' sections with a jeweler's saw. The trick is to only use 1 or 2 'ought' blades. Step two is to cut the backing piece to fit behind the decorative part. After shaping, we use hard solder and attach a loop of copper wire to the back, which becomes the pin to attach it to a bag or blouse. The we rivet the 2 layers together. The backing on mine is copper and the front is brass. The holes for the rivets are drilled with a #58 drill, which 18 gauge wire fits in perfectly. By cutting the wire slightly longer than the hole, you can tap the wire to mushroom the ends (yes there are tricks). Well I broke the drill bit, I oversized a hole, the pieces don't match as well as I would like, but it is great to make something like this. I didn't quit the class.

Another project is the attached box. This box will be auctioned off at work near Christmas to raise money to help pay for the Holiday party. The woods are Myrtal wood, Purple heart and a spalted something for the top. I used 1/8" Baltic birch ply for the bottom. I left these images large.






Project 3 is a carved Santa, as yet unfinished.


Project 4 is the Halloween decoration. Made from fir (a common 4x4) turned, carved and painted by me. This one took 3 years to complete.

No comments: