Monday, February 8, 2010

Myrtal Wood Bowl

In my last post I had one shot of a bowl that I was turning. Here's a bunch more...

The first two show the chuck I used to mount the bowl onto the lathe, as well as the the bowl itself, before it was finished. I stopped sanding as I was actually getting the punky side thinner than the solid side of the bowl. At least enough that I could feel it with my fingers.



The next shot shows the base and the wood that the chuck was holding onto, while I turned the bowl. That is followed by a plate chuck designed to grab the edges of the bowl, or a platter, so I can turn the base of the bowl away. Finally a shot showing the base turned away. This time I added no decorative cuts to the bottom, I think 'cause I was already frustrated with the bowl and wanted to finish it and get on to another project.


Speaking of finish, these last two shots are the bowl after I put BLO over the bowl to get it a seal on it. I put a thick layer on, waited a few minutes (no patience here) then wiped of the remaining oil. Note the black spec near the edge, this was a worm hole I found after I got a ways into the turning. I also found a couple of dark inclusions in the bowl bottom as I was turning, but I took one completely out and other was reduced to about half it's original size.

All in all I would call this a great learning experience, but not rank it up too high in the quality level.

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

No comments: