Monday, March 1, 2010

Current projects




It has been almost a month since I posted anything here. I have actually been doing some work, and this weekend I got a lot done thanks to help from my brother who dropped in for a visit. I only have two pictures, one includes a cypress knee that I am carving an wood spirit into. This is a progress report as it is not done yet. I have just started the eyes so there is much to do on it. The cypress knee is 8 inches tall.

The cypress knee is sitting on project number two, which is a new stand for the lathe, as the old one vibrates way to much when there is any off-balance block mounted. The 2 shorter pieces are the legs, and there are sitting on the top. Both legs are made from 2 MDF slabs glued together and with hardboard mounted on each face, then trimmed in a hardwood. Stay tuned for more pictures of the stand. For those who can't wait, there is a picture of the table at the ShopNotes Magazine Plans' site. They used Maple for the hardwood, and I'll probably use Myrtle wood.

Project three is a new table top for the cabinets I made last month. This is also 2 layers of MDF glued together. I am currently out of glue and need to wait until tomorrow to go to the store and buy another bottle. I've never glued up a project this size and didn't realize how much I would use.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: