Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Diggiing a Patio


Since the deck is done and the lower patio is finished, other than a final coat of sealer, I built a short wall to separate the two patio levels. Yes I know there are a couple of bricks missing. Then I started digging up the space for a brick patio to join the two doors and the stairs together. Pictures of what I dug out the last 2 days are here, two of the patio space and one of the pile of dirt. I did more digging after the pictures were taken and leveling of the ground. I needed to expand the space to make the 10' diameter circle fit that I am planning to put in. At this point I need to get some ¾ minus to be the base of the patio, then I'll add a 1 inch layer of sand. The bricks sit on top of that.


I included a copy of the design, but I already know there will be changes. While I measured everything out and used Google sketch-up to lay it out, when I marked the space and found the center of the circle, it did not all fit. Now I need to make an estimate of how many bricks I need. They don't take returns, so you can't over-buy and return the extra. If you have too many bricks you have to find a new project for them. And the circle you buy as a package, so you do end up with some extra bricks there, but I can make use of them.


Just for grins, this is the link of the company that built my deck, NW Deckscapes. Note that they did come back and added fascia boards to the stairs, making it look a lot better. Also, the lower wood platform is temporary so other people with shorter legs can use the stairs. The bricks are from Western Interlock so you can see pictures of a circle design on their website.

Enjoy, and be careful of the blisters.

No comments: