Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Getting Ready for Our Summer Auction


Every year at work we raise money for our Holiday Party with an auction of donated items. Here are two corian pens and a Cedar Bottle Stopper I turned. The first pen was from a piece of corian that I thought was to bland to be very viable. As a pen, it looks pretty good. As a counter, just not enough color for me. The second pen is from a small piece of blue corian that I thought was pretty good looking, and it is. I think I would like to try the blue again using a black tip and center band. That means I would have to turn those too, which doubles the time and work. The fit and finish on these pens are good, so with a replacement ink cartridge I would sell either for $45.


The last item on today's posting is a simple bottle stopper I made from ceder and put a walnut oil/shellac finish on it. Cedar turns quick and sanding is more of a concern due to the softness of the wood. The two colors are because the piece is off the edge of the log, giving it a lot more character.


Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: