Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pen Box

Well, I did decide to try and make a small box for the pen. The first picture shows the box, cut with 10 degree angles. I cut the channel of both the top and bottom as one piece using the table saw, many passes across the saw, then hand sanded to remove the resulting grooves. It's about 7 inches long. The main body is Myrtle Wood and the ends I think are from Yew. Whenever I cut or sand it it smells bad, more like 'ewww'. Still, it looks nice though yet unfinished. I hand-made a single hinge for the box also from Yew thinking that it would be strong enough for these pieces. The hinge pin did not drill exactly centered. When I opened the box you can see how the lid cants to one side. Not good.


I removed the hinge from the box, (no it wasn't easy) and put supports to lock the lid in place on both ends. These I cut on the scroll saw and sanded them to fit. I made a handle from Yew for the top and it has become a lift-box. I sanded a little from the ends of the lid to allow the lid to slide on a little better. On shot shows the pen set into foam that I had available. The finish is BLO and a layer of Watco wax. It looks nice.

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

No comments: