Monday, September 5, 2011

Some Carving

Spent the last holiday weekend in the woods near Mt Rainer, playing golf and carving. Here are 2 pieces that I completed this weekend with a ruler in the picture so you can gauge the size of the work. The larger Santa face is meant to be an ornament, although it can stand on its own. I will add a loop to the top so it can either be hung, or can set on a shelf. The other is a standing figure, as if you couldn't tell. Painting of both of these will occur soon, but not yet. After I finish a couple of more carvings I will start painting all of the pieces. The first picture is larger than the others, so watch the download time. The weather was hot and dry, for Washington, so I sat outside in the camp chairs letting wood chips fall as they may. The face of the taller Santa is a style new to me, and I had a little trouble with wood tearing around the eyes. I even resharpened the carving tools more often than I normally would to try and smooth things out. Note that I did get the wood from a different source, so I'll be watching the wood other projects that came from the same batch for problems. If I keep having trouble I'll let you know the wood provider.
Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: