Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Shell Game


Earlier this summer, I was at the beach near Gray's Harbor, Washington. One of the small shops there had sea shells for sale at what I thought was a reasonable price. I picked up a couple as an experiment and you'll see one of them here. The glue is still drying on the other. The spindles are turned from walnut and have a stub tenon that matches the holes (kinda) found in the top and bottom of the shell. I attached them with E6000 craft glue as that is a thick glue, dries clear, and has some flexibility. These two shells cost $1.69 each, making this a fun little inexpensive project. They are fragile so I didn't know if I could get them home in one piece, but they made it. The finish on the wood is super glue, as I was trying to keep the pieces as strong as I could.

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

No comments: