Sunday, July 22, 2012

Finished Box

Here are the pictures of the latest box I made. The sides and top are Myrtle wood. The legs are cherry, the hinges are from popular. The finish is BLO, then a walnut oil -shellac mix. The hinges have a dark walnut stain them. Inside I attached a piece of felt to cardstock ( cereal box ) with 3M spray adhesive and it is set in place on the bottom. The hinges use a hollow brass tube for the pivot. It was well appreciated by the new owner.

To make the hinges, I hand cut joints and did so badly I tossed them in the fire bucket and went to Rockler and bought a jig and spiral upcut router bits. They worked perfect and gave me the joint I was unable to cut by hand. I hand tooled the top of the hinges using a small bit in my Foredom.

I'm already working on another box for the next office retiree. At the end of September there will be 5 more people retiring. Maybe I shouldn't have started making boxes for people as they retire. Who would have known the office would provide an incentive. The good thing is no-one will get laid off next year. The following year is still up in the air.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: