Monday, July 30, 2012

Box 2 of 7

Another retirement tomorrow, so naturally I finished the box with very little time to spare. It currently is sitting open so that it will air out and dry.

The sides are myrtle and mitered together, birdseye maple trims the top of the box, maple is used in the keys I cut in the corners to get it a bit more strength. The lid is a myrtle frame with a piece of spalted maple fill in the center. Inside the lid is a layer of mahogany veneer to hide the sins. The hinge is a piece of birdseye maple that I rounded on the bottom then pinned with a brass rod. Inside I inserted a piece of green felt glued to cardboard. The top only opens vertical.

The lid was too thick in my mind so I made a 10 degree cut of the stiles before I put it all together, so the outside edge was thicker than the inside. After the lid was complete, but before I added the hinge piece, I decided to cut an angle on the outside at 36 degrees. This lightened the box up considerably.

The finish is as thin a layer of BLO I could get on, then a layer of a combination wax and walnut oil to protect it.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: