Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Boxes 5 of 7

My kitchen is nearly done, so I'm back to making stuff. We have 5 more retirements at the end of the month, and here are the 5 boxes that I am working on. the outside dimension is about 5.5 x 8.5 inches, and 2 inches tall. The sides are Myrtle wood, the bottoms are ply inset into the sides by about 3/16 all of the way around. As you can see each corner is mitered. One shot shows a bag of the clamps that I used.

I cut key slots as shown in the picture for both looks and strength. The keys will be black walnut that I cut to fit the slots. I will cut the keys a tad oversize, glue them into the slots and cut them down flush prior to sanding the outsides.

Each lid will be a little different, and I contemplating building the hinges as part of the lid. More on that as I get one done.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: