Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Indexing a turned object


For my current project, I needed to accurately mark positions on a turned item. I had an indexing wheel, but had not yet made a way to lock it in position. I took the wheels off my center support, and using the same vertical riser I made a bar from corian to run the pin through. On the backside you can see where I drilled a hole to epoxy a nut. Yes, I had already drilled through for the bolt. The pin was 1/8" diameter so I drilled a hole for that after the epoxy dried. This allows me to adjust to the appropriate ring of indexes when marking my turned object.

Currently I am making a small table to mount and be able to slide a pencil on its side. Again I will use corian for stability. The table will have a post that I can mount on the slide ( 5/8" ) with a table that is offset to one side. Right now I am waiting for the glue to dry cause I needed to glue 2 pieces of corian together to get the size I needed, as corian is only 1/2" thick.



Here is the project I am working on.


Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

No comments: