Sunday, March 28, 2010

Drawers On


Okay, the initial lathe stand is finished, including the drawers. One shot shows the faces, which as you see is a book-matched piece of Myrtle, complete with worm holes. The faces are attached to a drawer made from ½ " plywood. For now there are no handles, as I can easily reach under the drawers and pull them open. I used full extension slides, but since they sit back under the lip of the table top, the drawer does not extend to be completely open. The second shot shows enough of the drawer so that you can see how it was assembled. The drawer bottom is ¼ " ply.

I need to put a finish on the table yet. I saw a recipe using 1 cup of polyurethane and 1 cup of mineral spirits and 2 tablespoons of BLO (boiled Linseed Oil). I just need a jar I can put it in. This is supposed to be a wipe on finish for protecting shop tables and such, dries in about an hour.

For now I'm taking a break, yes I like the way it looks. Still have to decide if the table needs to be shortened and inch or two,

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: