Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mixed projects

Nothing to show today. I turned a new knob for the shed door, as the old pine one broke Wednesday. I grabbed a piece of wormy Myrtle wood, turn the new knob and decided I didn't like all of the holes in it. Grabbed a different piece of Myrtle wood and turned a knob, drilled a hole on the backside the attached it to the shed door. I put a layer of BLO on it to help protect the wood.

I also got the drawer slides for the lathe table and mounted them. I started making the drawers out of ½ " plywood, and will add a Myrtle wood front when the drawers are done.

I pulled the metal cover off my deck as the deck needs to be replaced this year. I'm getting ready to paint the exterior walls of the house before the new deck is built. I also pulled up the lower deck and stacked all of the wood to the side of the yard. We are working on getting bids, one is at $13K just for an 8 foot high, 13x22 deck with a PVC decking material. The deck gets full sun (south facing) so composites do not hold up as well. I don't take care of the surface so real wood keeps dying out and pulling up.

Listened to a talk at the Cascade Woodturners mtg tonight by Andi Wolfe. Andi does a lot of carving and Pyrography starting with turned bowls. Her work can get pretty intensive, so have a look at her blogspot.

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

No comments: