Monday, April 11, 2011

Another Pen

You might be getting tired of the pens, but I'm not. Here is a twist pen that was made from a wood block that was given to me as a present. I do not know what type of wood it is, but it is pretty and it took the finish I gave it well. I tried three different things with this pen:

  • Get a closer cut at the tip of the pen, you know, the joint between the gold tip and the wood barrel. This one came out perfect.

  • I sanded the barrel to 600 grit, then applied 20 coats of CA for the finish to give it a hard and more durable surface.

  • I wet sanded the CA finish with micro-mesh sanding pads to 12000.


I did get the joint to fit real well this time. The finish came out remarkable smooth and shiny. I was really impressed, and I know how it was done. For the finishing steps I found a site called Timberbits from Australia that had some YouTube videos. I like this pen and it is one of the best jobs I've done for fit and finish.

I have two more pens ready to turn, so I'll be posting those soon too.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: