Tuesday, April 19, 2011

From Corian

I just got my new pen mandrel from Pen State Industries and it came with a free 7mm drill. Too bad I bought on last week. The bushing for the 7mm pens are larger than the fittings for the kits I got from Rockler, so I have to remember to grab the right set, or just use the micrometer more consistently. The guide bushings may actually fit the pens from Pen State, but I haven't bought any kits from them, yet. They do have a nice variety as well as some high quality sets. Anyway, the shot with the corian I picked up the other day shows the mandrel. The shaft length is adjustable on this mandrel, which is really nice.

I tried to show how I press the pen pieces together, but the picture is fuzzy. The point was that I turned two blocks for the lathe that allow me to use the lathe itself as the press. Makes it easier than buying another tool. These wear our so I get to keep turning these blocks and tossing the old ones. I considered using corian for the blocks, but I thought it might be too hard.


And of course, the final shot. This pen is laying on the back side of the piece of corian I turned.


A final shot is a green and yellow pen. The center band is black acrylic that is part of the pen. I also turned a black tip for the pen, which you will see when the pen is finished. I haven't decided about whether to put a clip on the pen, or just top it with a black turning. Come back later and see.

Enjoy and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: