Friday, April 8, 2011

Dumpster Diving

I swung by a counter-top manufacturing/installation place and went dumpster diving and pulled out about 4 pieces of counter top to see if I could make turnings from them. I includes a shot that shows the color. I really wanted one that was very dark, so I may have to go back later and look again. These may be corian, but the one piece I drilled and turned was a type of plastic material, judging by the material I removed. The second pictures shows what happens if you don't clean the flutes of the drill out often enough.

The third is a finished pen, which came out real nice. It started as part of the long piece at the bottom in the first picture. I sanded this like the acrylic pens I did last week, to 1200 grit and then used a plastic polish. This pen would look good with a white center band and a tip of the same material. I may try that next week. While it is not wood, I like it, and so does my significant other, and she wants it.


Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

1 comment: