Tuesday, July 7, 2009

We have Power

No pictures today, but I just had the main power panel replaced, and I now have power to the shop! The inspection hasn't been done yet, and there are a few things to complete/redo, but after I get back from vacation I'll get the panel and shop inspected. I did a test run today and verified that the power is in the shop. Hooray! Because this is an out-building, I need to put a GFI on each power leg (4). I also need to put in a few more wire staples to hold the cables tight and some cable protector plates. Also I have an outside GFI outlet that needs to be replaced, but one of the local blue big-box stores does not carry one that is required by the new Electrical code. I tried the best one they sold but that does not meet the current spec. The orange big-box store does have the part, according to the electrician. That covers the gist of it.

Dennis came over and helped pull the power cables through the conduit. After the panel was mounted I waited until the holes were punched through for the final cable fitting. I needed to dig a the trench two feet further to give a place for the conduit to drop down. Of course there was a large rock in the way, about 1 cubic foot in size, what a pain.

I'll get the inspection done as early next week as I can, but I do have some work to do, then I can start filling in the trenches. This is exciting for me. The shop is getting close to reality.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: