Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bricked Up



Or is it bricks down. In the driveway ramp I put just over ½ ton of bricks, and so far about ¼ yard of masonry sand. I put down 1-2 inches of sand down, tamping it tight to get a better base, the screed it level. The I started placing all of the bricks and I got lucky, not one cut brick here. After laying down the bricks I tossed sand across the surface to sweep it in. The sand was wet when I first started sweeping it in, so not a lot fell into the spaces. I spread some sand across the top and let it dry some (it's only in the low 60s today) then I swept it in, and gaps kept showing up as the wet sand dried out and fell in, and the dry sand feel through. It is supposed to work that way, but I don't know if I'll get a full week of dry weather for the next 4 months, which is what I'll need to pack it in. I went around a few times with the tamper too, to try and get the sand to settle. Here's two views, one from the inside, the other from out.

While the sand was drying, I stacked bricks along the backside of the shop to help keep the dirt away from the sides. I looks good, hopefully good enough for the inspector.

I'm all worn out, so I'm quitting for a while.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: