Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pushing the dirt




Well, I've included three shots I took late tonight that shows the current progress. Inside I've trimmed the windows in a more bungalow style. But the stark white was getting to me so I painted them 'Desert Caravan' according to the can, although 'dark gold' works for me, or 'baby shit yellow', depending upon your thoughts. I made the bottom ledger a little wide so I could use it as a shelf.

The next two shots are from the outside, the front showing the fascia boards added, and the side where you can see I've started pushing dirt back up to the walls. The porch is not set yet, as I need to rototiller that area yet, so for now I've shoved a couple of boards under the porch to keep keep it from wobbling.



The rototiller throttle cable broke last week, while I was trying to loosen the soil, so on Saturday I went down to the neighborhood lawnmower shop. As I walked up to the guy at the counter he said "we don't carry that." Hell, I was still halfway across the shop. He suggested I try a choke cable at the auto parts store, and in fact, AutoZone had a generic push-pull cable that was perfect for what I needed. After fixing the machine I got to talking with the wife and we realized that the rototiller was over 35 years old.

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

No comments: