Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Up The Hill


Okay, so I'm still getting cute with the phrases. What I have been working on this week is the ramp that goes from my gravel parking strip up to the garage door shop entrance. This requires the removal of a lot of dirt, separating a lot of gravel from the dirt, and trying to dig into stuff that wasn't meant to be dug into. I made the ramp 8 feet long, with a total rise of 8 inches. The pictures shows the ¾ minus gravel I put down and compacted with one of those hand tampers (heavy steel plate on a stick). I've got a full yard of rock in there, and below that is some ¾ gravel and cement chunks left after they poured the slab. The ¾ minus is at least 4" deep, but below that is the other stuff. The blocks on the side are from Western Interlock as will be the bricks I put in center. I still need to get the bricks, and the sand that goes between the gravel and the bricks. Unfortunately they close a t 4:30 PM PST and I can't get there until Saturday. I suppose I could put in the bad with the good, the width between bricks at the top is 78" and at the bottom 76", but I ain't going to change it.

I think I'll be putting bricks down for the next 5 years, one section at a time. It looks like I'll call for the final inspection for Friday, as I have that day off. I'd get the bricks then, but you never know when the inspectors will come by. If he is early enough, I'll get them then. I'm ready to move in and would like to be there before the month is out. Wish me luck.

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

good luck with your inspection. it's looking great.