Sunday, November 8, 2009

Been a week

I'm skipping the personal stuff. I've moved a lot more stuff/tools into the shop this week and I've been cleaning out the old shop. Went ahead and got a rolling cabinet from Sears. It's the cheap one, but it will get some of the tools and supplies into drawers for now. Also went to the Woodworking show this weekend. One of the local tool retailers, Barbo Machinery, was there selling tools, including the General International line out of Canada. They had a cabinet saw there at the show that I liked real well. Smooth running gears, nice size (not to big), plenty of power (2HP), rifing knife as well as a splitter with the blade guard. The model is the 50-220R, and a big point is that Barbo Machinery does support the products here locally and carry parts. While they do sell the same saw with a granite top for about $200 less, the rep wasn't sold on them yet. They add weight, but they also stain and chip.

The bad news is that I need to wait 2-3 weeks for one to get here. General International is putting a distribution center in the USA this next year, so in the future that will speed things up.

I also get wheels under the table and a sliding miter gauge as free accessories. I'll try and write a review when I get it set up.

I also decided it was time to pick up a pair of the 'Gr ripper' hold-down tools and keep my fingers away from the fast moving parts.

Tons to look at. Lots of stuff being pushed, but as a hobbyist it is hard to justify owning it all, or finding a place to put it. Next I'm looking for a thickness sander.

All together I spent about 6 hours at the show, did go to a few seminars, but after buying the saw and picking up the Grripper tools, decided I'd better stop spending money this year.

Yes I had a good time, lots of stuff I wanted but left alone.

Enjoy and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: