Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ornaments





Hi y'all. I have been moving wood from one storage place to the old shop. That and I turned an ornament last week for fun. Took me a while. Barb liked it though and asked if I could turn about 20 more. Here are 2 pictures of the first 10 globes. As you can see they are about 3" by 1" tall. I hollowed them out to make them lighter, and as typical, the last one is much lighter then the first one. In fact it was only taking about ½ hour each when I finished the last of these. Imagine how I'll be doing after another 40.

On the side view shot, the 2 nearest the camera show the side I hollowed them out and the back side which I only guessed at. I'd eyeball using a square and 'that looks like an inch,' so I drilled that deep and use that as my guide. One globe I put a reverse on the bottom and just caught the edge of the hollow. I'll need to fix it. Also note, these were all cut from the same piece of wood.


Tomorrow I'll turn some black walnut finials for the top and bottom. With any luck I'll get another picture so you can see the progression.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: