Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cribbage Board

While waiting for the glue to dry on my table top, I made a new cribbage board. I wanted to use an inlay in the top, but I'm still learning how to make the inlay. So I made the board from a piece of walnut from the pile. The walnut was sanded and routed along the edge before drilling. After drilling there was too much tearout around the holes so I ran it through the thickness sander a few more times to clean it up. Its not perfect, but better.


I needed new pegs, and since some that I've made in the past have broke, I wanted to use a brass tip to make them less fragile. I started with 5/32" brass rod that I picked up at True Value for less than $2. I pulled my old Enco metal lathe out and turned the first ½" to slightly smaller than the holes in the cribbage board and narrowed the tips for easy insertion. I left a 1/8" center band full width, then turned the top ½" to just under 1/8", matching the drill I was planning to use.

I pulled out some holly and a piece of Myrtle Wood from the wood stash to make the pegs. These were trimed to 1 inch long, drilled out on the Enco lathe and super-glued onto the brass pieces. Because of how close the space was I was unable to use my collet for the wood lathe so I turned them on the metal lathe, a much, much slower operation. I used wire to burn a design in the Holly but left the Myrtle Wood plain since it is already dark. The finish is super glue and BLO.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: