Saturday, February 5, 2011

An Ornament Stand

While the topic isn't exciting, I got to try a couple of new things on the lathe. I started with the instructions from David Reed Smith. First off was turning an offset disk for the stand base, then I deviated from the plan and turn part of the post and carved the curved portion by hand. I think it came out pretty good for a first time. The web-site has a lot of other ideas I may try, so it is a good place to bookmark. Anyway, I used Myrtle wood through-out. I made this one 14 inches tall, which now looks a bit high for most of my projects, but I have had a couple that would need a stand this tall. Also, if you want to sell these, don't hand carve the post, follow David's article for a quicker finish.



The last two images have a BLO finish on them, while the first one is still unfinished wood.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: