Tuesday, February 22, 2011

More on the Bench

I did get more work done on the carver's bench this weekend. I was able to slice up the boards to 3" height. I then ran them through the thickness sander to clean up the faces and to let the glue have a better grip on the wood. I then laminated the first half and the next day sent that section through the thickness sander. This gave me a real nice and flat top on at least half the boards. To fit the top on the table I routed insets for the hinges that are ½" deep. I drew the pattern on cardboard, cut the hinge locations out, the laid the pattern on the bottom on the table and traced the pattern onto the wood.



When I routed the opening I made sure to remove the pencil lines with the router as I would rather remove to much, then too little. I used a punch to mark all of the screw hole locations then pre-drilled for the screws. For half a table it looks great. The wood grain will not be the same on the second half, which would have been nice. I may glue the two pieces together here on the table. I haven't decided yet. The second half is ready now, but I was working on a different project while waiting.

No comments: