Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Turned Birdhouse

This is an ornament size birdhouse, about 4 inches tall. I turned the outside shape, then picked a forstner bit to fit, leaving about 18 for the sidewalls. I then used a scrapper to round out the bottom and make it a little lighter. I used the instructions from the latest Wood Turning magazine that is currently in the stores. This birdhouse is from Myrtle Wood, a piece that was starting to spalt for the body, and a piece full of worm holes for the top. The post was a 38 dowel I turned down for this project. I think I got the opening and post hole too high, but that becomes more of a aesthetic as opposed to function. It did work, and not too many problems. BLO is on the outside, although it is real hard to get it into the many worm holes.

It wasn't really that hard of a project to do, and I enjoyed the process. I think on the next roof I'll use a piece without the worm holes, or maybe a contrasting wood for color. I also need to sharpen my tools.


Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: