Sunday, January 8, 2012

Corian Handle - Not.

I've included a couple of pictures of the corian handle I was turning, but the contrast of the white makes almost impossible to see. What it all boiled down to, While I was able to turn the corian, I did not have the pieces stacked correctly and when I tried to screw in the insert that the pizza handle screws into, the whole upper portion I had drilled out broke off, even with an over-sized hole drilled. I did not have enough time to try again, but it does point out the necessity to have a jig of some kind to keep the pieces in line and vertical. Also it showed the impossibility of tapping the corian since it is such a hard and brittle assembly, the way I made it. Bummer. I skipped the corian and went to Myrtle wood which looks great and is much easier to insert the fittings.
I also am showing two of my Christmas gifts, one that will help in holding my tools while I work on the lathe, the other so I can keep track of how late it is while I'm working. Clever idea on the first, though I may remount it directly on my table so I can easily pull the lathe tail-stock off. The other as you can see is hanging on my wall already.
Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: