Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dust Collector

Last Saturday I went and visited all of the local wood working stores in the local area to see what they had for dust collectors. On Sunday, I bought a new Steel City dust collector model 62500 from the local Woodcrafters store. The price was good and they had it in stock. I opted to go with a bag filter instead of a canister as a cost saving and for the small size of my shop I thought that it would be sufficient. They spec the bag as 1 micron and 1200 CFM, which is what I need for my current tool set. The ShopSmith DC3000 just didn't cut it after 30 years of use. I have pictures showing the DC connected to my thickness sander and a second shot showing the fittings between the DC and table saw. I picked up a quick disconnect kit at Rockler and added the fittings to all of my 4" ports. I just drag the hose to whatever machine I'm using. The hose will reach up to 21 feet, in theory. At this point it works great as I get no blow-back on any of the tools I've used it with.
Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: