Sunday, January 15, 2012

New Cabinet for the Shop

I have finished a new cabinet for the shop. I used particle board scrap for the main box, trimmed with Myrtle wood and sized to fit in the opening of my lathe stand. Pictures show a lot, so I'll try to hit jut the highlights. The drawer sides are popular, the bottoms are 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. The front of the drawers is Myrtle wood that I cut from a single board into 3 layers, each piece finishing into a 5/8" thick piece. That's how I got the bookmatch effect across the face. I used wood guides and an over-sized bottom to separate the shelves, picture included. The drawer face is rabbited to hide the plywood bottom and I used pocket-hole screws to hold the sides and face together. The finish is BLO (boiled linseed oil). Inside one of the drawers I placed all the different adapters for my Nova chuck, to help get an idea of size, about 13.75" across on the inside. The back of each drawer is a thin piece (about 3/8") of Myrtle wood that I cut to fit and is not attached but sitting in a dado I made to hold the back in place. One picture shows the oversized drawer face, where I kept the sides short anyway, and some of my push blocks I use on my table saw.
Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: