Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bangles

I took a break from working on the new router cabinet, and created a set of bangles, or bracelets from myrtle wood. There was one not pictured that I used to gauge the size I needed. It had about a 2.35-2.4" inside diameter, which turned out to be slightly small. I had 4 differently ladies try it on, and it did fit 2 of them. Anyway I gave it to one of those two and went back to the shop to create some more, with a slightly larger inside diameter. Here are three more each at 2.5+". It does not take much of a size change to get them to fit. The outside diameter is about 3", meaning each band is about 1/4" thick. The bracelets are 1/2" tall and are sealed in a walnut oil-shellac mix.

I started each bracelet with a 2" thick piece of wood that was glued to a waste block. I turned and separated the bracelets and from the leftover center I was able to create this small bowl. The rim is actually larger than the center of the bracelets as that was part of the original wood block leftover after separation.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: