Monday, February 11, 2013

Bracelet Setup

I said I would post how I setup for turning bracelets, so I grabbed a bunch of pictures tonight to post them. I started with a shot of the multi-tooth spur drive I use for the initial turning. I have two spur drives and this one is the larger size. Both came from the Woodcraft store. I then take the block of wood, and these are about 2.5" thick and about 3" square (more or less). I use the yellow plastic gizmo to locate the center by drawing a center line from each corner. Rarely do they actually meet, but they get close enough that I can use an awl and punch a center point. Using the center points as a guide I then mount the block between the centers regardless of the two facing surfaces being flat.

Once the wood is clamped securely, I run the lathe at a speed I feel comfortable with, in this case about 1800 RPM. Using a roughing gouge I bring the block into a round shape. I then use a parting tool to reduce the diameter at the end away from the drive spur to create a surface and a shoulder to grab the block with in one of my adjustable chucks, as shown. At this point I am ready to begin turning the block into whatever I want, and most recently that has been bracelets. Later on I'll include more pictures of those as well as finish the process here. The length of the tenon is about 1/4".

Enjoy, but be careful of the splinters.

No comments: