Monday, February 11, 2013

Tapered Staves

I've always wanted to turn a flower pot, so today I cut some cedar fencing into some tapered staves. I went for 8 staves and made them relatively small so I was sure I could handle them on the lathe. The angle of the miter gauge was supposed to be 4.85° and the table saw blade at 21.89°. Like I was going to hit those numbers. I went with 5° for the miter and 22° for the table saw. I set it so the base of each piece was 1.5". The boards were all cut to 6" in length. I butted 3 joints together and used painters tape to hold them together, added lots of glue and used tape to hold 4 sections. After the two semicircles were together I added rubber bands to act a clamps. A close look at the top will show that the two halves do not meet perfectly as expected, but they are closer than I thought it would be.

After the glue dries I will sand each half flat and join them together. Once dry I will throw it on the lathe and turn a fitting for the bottom. But the shape is already kinda cool, so I may not end up turning this one at all. I'll run it by the chief gardener.

Enjoy, and be careful of the splinters.

No comments: